Camp Quest and Humanist Community of Central Ohio on Foundation Beyond Belief's Team!
May 01, 2012 by Amanda Metskas
If you're part of the Humanist Community of Central Ohio and/or a friend of Camp Quest in the central Ohio area, please join our Light the Night Team. Camp Quest and the Humanist Community of Central Ohio are part of the Foundation Beyond Belief's team. We're partnering with atheists, agnostics, humanists, and other secular people across the U.S. and Canada to raise a million dollars to fight blood cancers. We're doing this because we believe in putting our values into action. We value reason and compassion, and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society does too - they fund research that fights cancer, and they fund compassionate efforts to help families coping with cancer.
As secular people, we believe that this life is all we have, and if we want life to get better, we need to take action to make that happen. Being part of this effort is one of the ways we're taking action to improve the lives our fellow human beings in the here and now.
Please join our team and come walk with us at the Fred Beekman park in Columbus on October 27th. This is a family friendly event, so bring the kids. They can even sign up as team members too, if they want to raise funds to fight cancer.
If you can't walk with us, show your support by making a donation to our team!
Welcome to our Team's Homepage
May 01, 2012
Welcome to my Light The Night Walk Team homepage.
Light The Night Walk is The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's annual fundraising walk to pay tribute and bring hope to people battling cancer. Hundreds of thousands of participants raise funds for lifesaving research and patient services.
For more than 60 years, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) has been solely focused on people with blood cancers. Presently, we have more than $250 million committed to research across the United States and in ten other countries. Every dollar is provided by concerned donors. We invest in the best, outcome based science:
- Anywhere, with no geographic or institutional boundaries
- Without profit incentive
- To meet unmet Medicare needs of people with blood cancers
And LLS funded advances are helping patients beyond those for whom they were originally developed, including people with solid tumors and auto-immune diseases. In the past decade, nearly 50% (19 out of 39) of the cancer drugs approved by the FDA were approved as treatments for blood cancer patients. Twelve are already approved for people beyond those for whom they were first developed. With your help, we are saving lives.
- A donation of $25 provides patients and their loved ones with FREE booklets that contain up-to-date information on their disease and help them make informed decisions about their treatment options.
- A donation of $50 makes possible a Family Support group with a trained facilitator where comfort can be found and experiences can be shared among patients and family members.
- A donation of $100 helps supply laboratory researchers with supplies and materials critical to carrying out their search for cures.
- A donation of $1,000 makes possible one- on-one conversations with health care specialists who provide patients with information about their disease, treatment options, and helps prepare them with questions for their health care team.
Please join our team's effort today by registering to walk or by making a donation. Your participation in the Light The Night Walk will help save lives. Be sure to check our team Web site frequently to see our progress, and thanks for your support!