Welcome to the Columbus CoR LTN walk page!
Sep 16, 2013
Cancer sucks; let's punch it in the face! (motto courtesy of Amanda Barrett).
Humanists, atheists, non-theists, agnostics, and otherwise secular-minded people in the Central Ohio region are coming together to raise money for cancer research and be a visible presence of charitable secular humanism at the Light The Night walks. Humanist Community of Central Ohio and Camp Quest Ohio are teaming up again and are joined by Central Ohio United Non-Theists (COUNT), Central Ohio Gay Atheists (COGA), OWU Freethinkers, Atheists of Columbus, and Omnipresent Atheists. Check back for information on our fundraising, kick off, and other walk-related events.
We are a part of the Foundation Beyond Belief international team, so everything we raise will be matched at the national level by the Stiefel family, and we are eligible to win up to $5,000 in grants from Stiefel Freethought. Be sure to ask your employer about any matching they provide, as it will increase our local totals.
If you have questions or suggestions, email this year's team captain, Brittany, at shootsreinhard(at)gmail.com. For more information about the international team, check out the LLS pages on the FBB website.
Kickoff Event Saturday, September 21, 6-8 pm, HCCO Conference Room (1550 Old Henderson Rd, Columbus, OH 43220). Food, presentations, silent auction, door prizes. Donations accepted. To RSVP and view the silent auction items, go to the Facebook event page.
Bowling Night Friday, September 27, 7pm, Columbus Square Bowling Palace (5707 Forest Hills Blvd, Columbus, OH 43231). $50 for 3 games for 3-person team, including shoe rental. Conference room, raffle, activities for non-bowlers. Your entry fee will cover the costs of bowling, and with a matching grant, send $46 to fund cancer research and patient support.
About Light The Night
Light The Night Walk is The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's annual fundraising walk to pay tribute and bring hope to people battling cancer. Hundreds of thousands of participants raise funds for lifesaving research and patient services.
For more than 60 years, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) has been solely focused on people with blood cancers. Presently, we have more than $250 million committed to research across the United States and in ten other countries. Every dollar is provided by concerned donors. We invest in the best, outcome based science:
- Anywhere, with no geographic or institutional boundaries
- Without profit incentive
- To meet unmet Medicare needs of people with blood cancers
And LLS funded advances are helping patients beyond those for whom they were originally developed, including people with solid tumors and auto-immune diseases. In the past decade, nearly 50% (19 out of 39) of the cancer drugs approved by the FDA were approved as treatments for blood cancer patients. Twelve are already approved for people beyond those for whom they were first developed. With your help, we are saving lives.
- A donation of $30 provides patients and their loved ones with FREE booklets that contain up-to-date information on their disease and help them make informed decisions about their treatment options.
- A donation of $50 makes possible a Family Support group with a trained facilitator where comfort can be found and experiences can be shared among patients and family members.
- A donation of $100 helps supply laboratory researchers with supplies and materials critical to carrying out their search for cures.
- A donation of $1,000 makes possible one- on-one conversations with health care specialists who provide patients with information about their disease, treatment options, and helps prepare them with questions for their health care team.
Please join our team's effort today by registering to walk or by making a donation. Your participation in the Light The Night Walk will help save lives. Be sure to check our team Web site frequently to see our progress, and thanks for your support!