Welcome to Center for Inquiry-L.A.'s Light The Night Team homepage.
Oct 14, 2012
Light The Night Walk is The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's annual fundraising walk to pay tribute and bring hope to people battling cancer. Hundreds of thousands of participants raise funds for lifesaving research and patient services.
We are proud to be part of the Foundation Beyond Belief International Team, working to unite the freethought movement and raise $1,000,000 for the fight against cancer.
Being a part of the FBB international team will highlight nontheist giving globally and raise awareness for local secular groups. To support this goal, the Stiefel family has pledged to match the first $500,000 we raise for LLS! As an extra incentive for groups to get involved, the top fundraising teams will have the opportunity to direct up to $5,000 in grants with up to half going to a local qualifying freethought nonprofit and the rest to qualifying FBB Allies of their choice, courtesy of the Stiefel Freethought Foundation.
Please join our team's effort today by registering to walk or by making a donation.
More information about the FBB's efforts and how they plan to raise one million can be found here: http://pages.lightthenight.org/2012/FBB.
Want to donate offline? Checks should be written to "The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society" with "Center for Inquiry-L.A. FBB" or the walker's name on the memo line and mailed or brought to CFI-L.A., 4773 Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90027.
To join us in the Oct. 6 walk at Sunset Gower Studios, click the red JOIN button near the bottom of the page.
Because science works.
For more than 60 years, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) has been solely focused on people with blood cancers. Presently, we have more than $250 million committed to research across the United States and in ten other countries. Every dollar is provided by concerned donors.
We invest in the best, outcome based science:
- Anywhere, with no geographic or institutional boundaries
- Without profit incentive
- To meet unmet Medicare needs of people with blood cancers
And LLS funded advances are helping patients beyond those for whom they were originally developed, including people with solid tumors and auto-immune diseases. In the past decade, nearly 50% (19 out of 39) of the cancer drugs approved by the FDA were approved as treatments for blood cancer patients. Twelve are already approved for people beyond those for whom they were first developed. With your help, we are saving lives.
- A donation of $25 provides patients and their loved ones with FREE booklets that contain up-to-date information on their disease and help them make informed decisions about their treatment options.
- A donation of $50 makes possible a Family Support group with a trained facilitator where comfort can be found and experiences can be shared among patients and family members.
- A donation of $100 helps supply laboratory researchers with supplies and materials critical to carrying out their search for cures.
- A donation of $1,000 makes possible one- on-one conversations with health care specialists who provide patients with information about their disease, treatment options, and helps prepare them with questions for their health care team.
Please join our team's effort today by registering to walk or by making a donation. Your participation in the Light The Night Walk will help save lives. Be sure to check our team Web site frequently to see our progress, and thanks for your support!