Welcome to our Team's Homepage
Aug 21, 2012
Welcome to the Light The Night Walk homepage for the Humanist Community at Harvard, a Foundation Beyond Belief team based in Cambridge, MA. Thanks to a generous matching offer by the Stiefel family, the first $500,000 that Foundation Beyond Belief teams around the country raise will be matched, dollar for dollar! That's right: until we reach our national fundraising goal of $1,000,000, your donation to the fight against cancer will be doubled. So whether you consider yourself a Humanist/atheist/agnostic/freethinker and want to put your secular values into action, or whether you are a religious ally who wants to join with your non-religious friends and neighbors to work towards a shared goal of alleviating the world's suffering, we appreciate your support! Join our team (or one in your city), donate to us, and/or share this page with your friends today!
Light The Night Walk is The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's annual fundraising walk to pay tribute and bring hope to people battling cancer. Hundreds of thousands of participants raise funds for lifesaving research and patient services.
For more than 60 years, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) has been solely focused on people with blood cancers. Presently, we have more than $250 million committed to research across the United States and in ten other countries. Every dollar is provided by concerned donors. We invest in the best, outcome based science:
- Anywhere, with no geographic or institutional boundaries
- Without profit incentive
- To meet unmet Medicare needs of people with blood cancers
And LLS funded advances are helping patients beyond those for whom they were originally developed, including people with solid tumors and auto-immune diseases. In the past decade, nearly 50% (19 out of 39) of the cancer drugs approved by the FDA were approved as treatments for blood cancer patients. Twelve are already approved for people beyond those for whom they were first developed. With your help, we are saving lives.
- A donation of $30 provides patients and their loved ones with FREE booklets that contain up-to-date information on their disease and help them make informed decisions about their treatment options.
- A donation of $50 makes possible a Family Support group with a trained facilitator where comfort can be found and experiences can be shared among patients and family members.
- A donation of $100 helps supply laboratory researchers with supplies and materials critical to carrying out their search for cures.
- A donation of $1,000 makes possible one- on-one conversations with health care specialists who provide patients with information about their disease, treatment options, and helps prepare them with questions for their health care team.
Please join our team's effort today by registering to walk or by making a donation. Your participation in the Light The Night Walk will help save lives. Be sure to check our team Web site frequently to see our progress, and thanks for your support!