Foxhole Atheists & Humanists MAAF-WASH-FBB
Aug 30, 2013
For easy reference, you can use this url: http://tinyurl.com/LTNAlexandria
Welcome to the Light The Night Walk homepage for the Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers (MAAF, militaryatheists.org) and the Washington Area Secular Humanists (WASH, wash.org) Northern Virginia Chapter. We continue to partner with the nationwide Foundation Beyond Belief and Stiefel Freethought Foundation charitable efforts. This team raised $780 last year and we hope to up that to $5000 this year.
*** Donations so far have been made in honor of the following:
Ira Hamburg, Convener of the UU Humanists in Fairfax, who died this year.
Kristi Craig, a donor family member, who died of Cancer in 2009.
The walk is scheduled for October 5th in Reston, Virginia. You can donate even if you aren't in our area and even if you aren't available for the walk. The walk will be a moving experience, with thousands joining together to fight cancer, to remember those who have fought, and to support survivors.
More details at the Reston walk page, Oct 5th, 5PM event kickoff, 7PM walk start, at Reston Town Center, 11900 Market St in Reston.
Light The Night Walk is The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's annual fundraising walk to pay tribute and bring hope to people battling cancer. Hundreds of thousands of participants raise funds for lifesaving research and patient services.
For more than 60 years, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) has been solely focused on people with blood cancers. Presently, we have more than $250 million committed to research across the United States and in ten other countries. Every dollar is provided by concerned donors. We invest in the best, outcome based science:
- Anywhere, with no geographic or institutional boundaries
- Without profit incentive
- To meet unmet Medicare needs of people with blood cancers
And LLS funded advances are helping patients beyond those for whom they were originally developed, including people with solid tumors and auto-immune diseases. In the past decade, nearly 50% (19 out of 39) of the cancer drugs approved by the FDA were approved as treatments for blood cancer patients. Twelve are already approved for people beyond those for whom they were first developed. With your help, we are saving lives.
- A donation of $30 provides patients and their loved ones with FREE booklets that contain up-to-date information on their disease and help them make informed decisions about their treatment options.
- A donation of $50 makes possible a Family Support group with a trained facilitator where comfort can be found and experiences can be shared among patients and family members.
- A donation of $100 helps supply laboratory researchers with supplies and materials critical to carrying out their search for cures.
- A donation of $1,000 makes possible one- on-one conversations with health care specialists who provide patients with information about their disease, treatment options, and helps prepare them with questions for their health care team.
Please make a donation to support my participation in the Light The Night Walk and help save lives. Be sure to check my Web site frequently to see my progress, and thanks for your support!