Welcome to Georgetown Law Secular Student Alliance's Homepage
Jul 11, 2012
Welcome to the team page of the Georgetown Law Secular Student Alliance!
To fight leukemia and lymphoma, we are working with the Foundation Beyond Belief and the freethought movement around the world to help raise one million dollars in 2012 for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS). Light The Night Walk is The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's annual fundraising walk to pay tribute and bring hope to people battling cancer. Hundreds of thousands of participants raise funds for lifesaving research and patient services.
For those who don't know, Foundation Beyond Belief is a 501(c)(3) charitable foundation created to focus, encourage, and demonstrate humanist generosity and compassion. FBB runs a monthly donation program for charitable organizations that are screened by the staff for efficiency and impact, Volunteers Beyond Belief, a network of humanist volunteer teams in 14 U.S. cities, and Humanist Crisis Response, raising funds and awareness for major humanitarian crises worldwide. And now, with your help, FBB is going to join with LLS to help fight cancer. In addition, the Stiefel family is matching donations dollar for dollar until the one million dollar goal is reached!
For more than 60 years, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) has been solely focused on people with blood cancers. Presently, we have more than $250 million committed to research across the United States and in ten other countries. Every dollar is provided by concerned donors. We invest in the best, outcome based science:
- Anywhere, with no geographic or institutional boundaries
- Without profit incentive
- To meet unmet Medicare needs of people with blood cancers
And LLS funded advances are helping patients beyond those for whom they were originally developed, including people with solid tumors and auto-immune diseases. In the past decade, nearly 50% (19 out of 39) of the cancer drugs approved by the FDA were approved as treatments for blood cancer patients. Twelve are already approved for people beyond those for whom they were first developed. With your help, we are saving lives.
- A donation of $30 provides patients and their loved ones with FREE booklets that contain up-to-date information on their disease and help them make informed decisions about their treatment options.
- A donation of $50 makes possible a Family Support group with a trained facilitator where comfort can be found and experiences can be shared among patients and family members.
- A donation of $100 helps supply laboratory researchers with supplies and materials critical to carrying out their search for cures.
- A donation of $1,000 makes possible one- on-one conversations with health care specialists who provide patients with information about their disease, treatment options, and helps prepare them with questions for their health care team.
Please join our team's effort today by registering to walk or by making a donation. Your participation in the Light The Night Walk will help save lives. Be sure to check our team Web site frequently to see our progress, and thanks for your support!