Saving Lives, Fighting "Fire With Fire"
Jul 18, 2013 by Maria Sacchetti
A recent clinical trial proves successful...please watch the short video, titled "Fire With Fire" to see how your donations are literally saving lives!!!
Welcome to Maria's Walking Warrior's Homepage
Jul 19, 2013
Who is Maria and why should I become one of her Walking Warriors?
Three years ago, my life was changed forever when I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It was the toughest battle I never had a choice in fighting. As humans, we always wonder why terrible things happen to us. It's hard to imagine the reasons why the forces of the universe would come together in such a way to make people suffer. But as I always say, things happen for a reason. I am a firm believer that sometimes in life, everything needs to fall apart in order for it to come together the way it is meant to.
I was 18 and starting my college career at Manhattan College when I was diagnosed. In all, I went through 4 rounds of chemotherapy and 3 weeks of radiation. Though this dark cloud seemed to encompass my life, I always knew I had to be strong. Afterall, medicine can account for 80% but the other 20% is all you - the way you manage your attitude, the way you respond, the way you let cancer affect your life. If I had any say in it, I was not going to let it change my life. Before my hair could fall out I got a short haircut and bought a wig for when it would. I brought games to the center & kept myself busy reading. I became best friends with my mom and grew closer to my dad and brothers. I would talk to the younger kids being treated in my pediatric center.
I tried to make the best of a bad situation. I would talk with my nurses and crack jokes with my doctor. I wore a clown wig to the office and gave the whole center a good laugh one day. There was even a time when a small boy, only 8 years old, was crying about his loss of hair right outside my room. I felt his pain and wanted him to understand that he wasn't alone. I walked right up to him with my wig on and got down to his level. Very brightly I said, "hey! I like your haircut; I have the same one!" I ripped my wig right off and he smiled. We were in the same club: the No Hair club.
There are millions of people in the No Hair club as we speak. It has been over 3 years since I was diagnosed with the illness that would change the rest of my life. You quickly realize that there are certain people and things in your life that are so important and others that are so not. I decided I had two options: I could sit back and enjoy the rest of what will be my loooooong life without thinking about my cancer ever again or I could do something about the statistics and truly live my life to the fullest.
Since I got sick, I have participated in multiple research projects, fundraised thousands of dollars for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and - most proudly I have been there for several other young people whose lives were touched by Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
The same year I was sick, I walked in my first Light The Night Walk. Light The Night Walk is the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's annual fundraising walk to pay tribute and bring hope to people battling blood cancers. Hundreds of thousands of participants raise funds for lifesaving research and patient services.
Last year, I not only reached my lofty goal, but I surpassed it! This year, my goal will be to raise even more. I was so thrilled to have over 50 Walking Warriors on my team last year. This year I hope you can join my Walking Warriors in the fight against Leukemia & Lymphoma.
Please be sure to make a donation to my team, Maria's Walking Warriors, today. No donation is too large or small, every dollar counts in the fight for a cure!!
Also, after you donate please post our team page on your Facebook and Twitter, as well as e-mailing the donation page to others who you think might want to get involved so I can reach my goal!!
Be sure to check our team Web site frequently to see our progress.
Thank you so much for your support!
With love and lots of hope,
Maria's Walking Warriors 2013