Treasure Valley Coalition of Reason
Jul 17, 2012
Welcome to the Treasure Valley Coalition of Reason's Light The Night Walk team fundraising homepage. The Treasure Valley Coalition of Reason is made of atheist, freethought, skeptic, and humanist groups working together in the Boise area. Our Coalition includes the following groups:
- Boise State University Secular Student Alliance
- Cosmos Coffee Club
- Humanists of Idaho
- Idaho Atheists
- West Valley Free Thinkers
- The Huumanists of Treasure Valley
Although we nontheists are without a belief in the supernatural, we do share the compassionate human values that most people embrace. We benefit from a supportive community for friendship, learning, social service, and activism. We hope you can help us by donating to our team or joining the team to walk with us on October 4th.
We are joining with the Foundation Beyond Belief's international team to highlight nontheist giving globally and raise awareness for our newly formed Coalition of Reason. In addition the Stiefel family has pledged to match the first $500,000 we raise for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. So we have the opportunity to raise $1,000,000!
This is a global effort among the freethought community and includes dozens of other groups, including: American Atheists, American Humanist Association, American Ethical Union, Atheist Alliance of America, Camp Quest, Center for Inquiry, Centre for Inquiry Canada, Freedom From Religion Foundation, Harvard Humanist Chaplaincy & Alumni, Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers, Secular Student Alliance, Society for Humanistic Judaism, and United Coalition of Reason.
Light The Night Walk is The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's annual fundraising walk to pay tribute and bring hope to people battling cancer. Hundreds of thousands of participants raise funds for lifesaving research and patient services.
For more than 60 years, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) has been solely focused on people with blood cancers. Presently, we have more than $250 million committed to research across the United States and in ten other countries. Every dollar is provided by concerned donors. We invest in the best, outcome based science:
- Anywhere, with no geographic or institutional boundaries
- Without profit incentive
- To meet unmet Medicare needs of people with blood cancers
And LLS funded advances are helping patients beyond those for whom they were originally developed, including people with solid tumors and auto-immune diseases. In the past decade, nearly 50% (19 out of 39) of the cancer drugs approved by the FDA were approved as treatments for blood cancer patients. Twelve are already approved for people beyond those for whom they were first developed. With your help, we are saving lives.
- A donation of $30 provides patients and their loved ones with FREE booklets that contain up-to-date information on their disease and help them make informed decisions about their treatment options.
- A donation of $50 makes possible a Family Support group with a trained facilitator where comfort can be found and experiences can be shared among patients and family members.
- A donation of $100 helps supply laboratory researchers with supplies and materials critical to carrying out their search for cures.
- A donation of $1,000 makes possible one- on-one conversations with health care specialists who provide patients with information about their disease, treatment options, and helps prepare them with questions for their health care team.
Please join our team's effort today by registering to walk or by making a donation. Your participation in the Light The Night Walk will help save lives. Be sure to check our team Web site frequently to see our progress, and thanks for your support!