Pastafarians at the University of South Carolina Fundraising Page
Apr 12, 2012
Welcome to the Pastafarians at USC's Light the Night Team Page!
We are a team partner of the Foundation Beyond Belief and part of a HUGE match with the Stiefel Freethought Foundation! The goal is to unite the Freethought Movement around the world to raise one million U.S. Dollars in 2012 for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS). We are thrilled to be a part of this organization and do our part in ending the fight with cancer.
In addition to serving a great cause, being a part of the FBB international team will highlight the fact that we are non-theists giving globally and raise awareness for local secular groups as well. To support this goal, the Stiefel family has pledged to match the first $500,000 that local groups (INCLUDING the Pastafarians!) raise for LLS! Additionally, the Stiefel Freethought Foundation is giving $18,000 to FBB for an incentive program. The top fundraising teams will have the opportunity to direct up to $5,000 in grants with up to half going to a local qualifying freethought nonprofit and the rest to qualifying FBB Allies of their choice.
Light The Night Walk is The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's annual fundraising walk to pay tribute and bring hope to people battling cancer. Hundreds of thousands of participants raise funds for lifesaving research and patient services.
For more than 60 years, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) has been solely focused on people with blood cancers. Presently, we have more than $250 million committed to research across the United States and in ten other countries. Every dollar is provided by concerned donors. We invest in the best, outcome based science:
- Anywhere, with no geographic or institutional boundaries
- Without profit incentive
- To meet unmet Medicare needs of people with blood cancers
And LLS funded advances are helping patients beyond those for whom they were originally developed, including people with solid tumors and auto-immune diseases. In the past decade, nearly 50% (19 out of 39) of the cancer drugs approved by the FDA were approved as treatments for blood cancer patients. Twelve are already approved for people beyond those for whom they were first developed. With your help, we are saving lives.
- A donation of $25 provides patients and their loved ones with FREE booklets that contain up-to-date information on their disease and help them make informed decisions about their treatment options.
- A donation of $50 makes possible a Family Support group with a trained facilitator where comfort can be found and experiences can be shared among patients and family members.
- A donation of $100 helps supply laboratory researchers with supplies and materials critical to carrying out their search for cures.
- A donation of $1,000 makes possible one- on-one conversations with health care specialists who provide patients with information about their disease, treatment options, and helps prepare them with questions for their health care team.
Please join the Pastafarians at USC's effort today by registering to walk or by making a donation. Your participation in the Light The Night Walk will help save lives. Be sure to check our team Web site frequently to see our progress, and thanks for your support!